2008 Conferentie Brussel
On Friday November 21 and Saturday November 22 the European Investigative Journalism Conference took place in Brussels, Belgium. Below you will find more information about the conference, including reports from the training sessions, workshops and lectures, partly in English, partly in Dutch. You need to log on first.
Video interview with Andrew Jennings, investigative reporter about investigating sport (redirects to Youtube, 2.50 minutes). Read the secret documents mr. Jennings has published on his website.
Video interview with Janny Groen (Dutch spoken), reporter working for Dutch national newspaper de Volkskrant, investigating muslim radicalism and terrorism (redirects to Youtube, 2.13 minutes)
Video interview with Derk-Jan Eppink (Dutch spoken), Dutch journalist and writer for numerous media living in Belgium, author of ‘Life of a European Mandarin’ (redirects to Youtube, 1.51 minutes)
Video interview with Slavica Jovanovic, wife of Dusko Jovanovic. Her husband was editor of the daily Dan when he was murdered in the Montenegro capital Podgorica in 2004. The Dusko Jovanovic foundation wants to stimulate investigative journalism. (redirects to Youtube, 1.53 minutes)
Impressions De Loep award ceremony (redirects to Youtube, 1.35 minutes).
- Life of a European Mandarin, a lecture by Bert-Jan Eppink, report by Ole Aabenhus
- Wobbing Europe, panel session about European freedom of information acts by Brigitte Alfter
- Wobbing Europe, by Brigitte Alfter, report by Jaap Nienhuis
- Crossing borders tracking corruption, a session about investigating company corruption by Paul Radu
- The biggest global scams, panel session about transparancy in sport by Andrew Jennings.
- Investigators toolbox, CAR training by Luuk Sengers, report by Barbara Seynaeve (English), coming soon.
- Stay Tuned, CAR training by Tricia Bots, report by Bart Biesemans (English)
- How to look at minorities in Europe, a lecture by Pascal Verbeken and Mehmet Koksal, moderator Marleen Teugels. Report: Bart Biesemans (English and Dutch)
- EU Lobbying: throwing light on the hidden decision-making of the European Union. A lecture by Erik Wesselius, moderator Robert Sikkes. Report: Bart Biesemans (Dutch)
- How to be creative, a workshop by Marcus Geers, report: Bart Biesemans (Dutch)
- Keynote speech Kris Peeters, Prime Minister of Flanders, Belgium (English)
- Follow the Money, a digital guide for tracking corruption; Paul Cristian Radu (pdf, 18 mb)
- All profits are equal, handout; Mathijs Rotteveel & Paul van der Cingel (doc, 2 mb)
- All profits are equal, sheets; Mathijs Rotteveel & Paul van der Cingel (ppt, 160 kb)
- Investigating science, sheets; Peter Aldhous (ppt, 6.2 mb)
- Investigating science, collected links; Peter Aldhous (doc, 70 kb)
- Managing investigative reporting: values and processes; Mark Lee Hunter (ppt, 414 kb). Note: This document is available for personal use. If you want to use it for educational or commercial purposes, please contact Mark Hunter.
- Lessons learned from experimental laboratory cross-border pharma project – Irene-reporters.org, by Brigitte Alfter, Marleen Teugels and Joop Bouma (pdf, 8 kb)